Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Around the Horn: Wednesday

It appears that, while we are mired in the offseason funk between the Michael Young scandal and a possible Ben Sheets signing, the only Rangers news out there is just more of the same about the Michael Young scandal and a possible Ben Sheets signing.

Since I started this blog after and during these events, instead of "weighing-in" on them, I can just link to articles that I agree with:

Despite what I just said, I was thinking about writing a post weighing-in on the Michael Young situation, since I didn't quite agree with any assessment I had read. But then I found this article written by Evan Grant several days ago which saved me from writing the next article in a series of articles on this subject that scream "this offseason has been way too boring." The gist of the article is that both the Rangers and Michael Young reacted appropriately and in the best interests of themselves and the team. Check it out.

Also, Cal Ripken talks about Michael Young's transition to third base in the Dallas Morning News today. Ripken was one of my favorite players back in the day, so I particularly like this one.

Most of us know the pros and cons of signing Ben Sheets. Still, this article by Richard Justice of Yahoo Sports lays them out pretty clearly. Good article, and I agree with just about everything he wrote except the first line:

"Ben Sheets is about to make some general manager look really, really smart or really, really dumb."

In general, for teams with already semi-solid pitching staffs, this would be true. The Rangers are not this type of team, as we know. After many failed attempts to woo pitchers of Sheets' caliber, the fact that Sheets is "damaged goods" should be viewed more as an opportunity than a risk for the Rangers. Even if the worst became true and Sheets flops in a Chan Ho Park-like fashion, taking the chance at bringing a true ace to Arlington will not have been "really, really dumb" for GM Jon Daniels.

That is all. For now.

No comments:

Post a Comment